German Wine Route: Gruenstadt
Gruenstadt is a town with about 13000 inhabitants and an area of 18,1 km². It was first documentary mentioned in 800 as "Grimdeostat" and was a medieval place of trial of the House of Leiningen.
The protestant church of St. Martin that was built from 1727 - 1736 was destroyed in WW II but was reconstructed subsequently. It contains a baptismal font from the 16th century and a wrought iron hour glass enclosure made about 1700.
The catholic church of St. Peter and Paul, a former minster of the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin, a building of the early 18th century bears a high altar and 2 side altars made about 1700.
The baroque town hall was reconstructed in 1906.