German Wine Route: Siebeldingen
Siebeldingen has 1050 inhabitants and an area of 6,1 km². It was first documentary mentioned in 771 as "Sigulfingheim".
Frederick II., Holy Roman Emperor gave town ordinances and privileges to the village in 1219.
The simultaneum church is a gothic building dating back around 1300, the nave was extended about 1500, modified in the 16th century with a late gothic steeple.
Siebeldingen has numerous timbered houses of the 17th and 18th century.
The German Institute for wine breeding, a division of the "Federal Centre for Breeding Research on Cultivated Plants" is based at the Geilweilerhof near Siebeldingen.
The Geilweilerhof was first documentary mentioned in 1184 as "Geilevilre", when Conrad from Riet (who also built Rietburg castle) donated it to the monastery in Eusserthal. From that time it was an estate of the monastery, being the first to be burnt down in the palatinate incidents of the german peasants war in 1525.
August Ludovici bought the wine growing estate in 1895 and transferred it to the rural district in 1923.
The german institute for wine breeding is world famous for grape variety's like Morio-Muskat, Bacchus, Optima, Regent, Optima, Domina etc. that where breaded here.
Vineyards of Siebeldingen, Siebeldinger Weinlagen
- Im Sonnenschein; 112 ha
- Moenchspfad; 29,7 ha
- Rosenberg; 4 ha