German Wine Route: Dirmstein
Dirmstein has 3050 inhabitants and an area of 14,7 km². It was first documentary mentioned in 1044 as "Diermundestein". In medieval times Dirmstein was the summer residence of the bishop of Worms, his entourage and several aristocratic families.
The church of St. Lawrence was built according to plans of Balthasar Neumann from 1742 - 1747. It is a so called Simultaneum, a church that is used both as protestant and catholic church simultaneously. An intermediate wall divides the church in an eastern catholic and a western protestant part.
The so called Simultaneum was established on october 29 1698 in the Electoral Palatinate (Kurpfalz). The reformed churches had to open their buildings for catholic church service, while the catholic churches where exclusive. The Simultaneum was canceled on the 29th march 1707.
Vineyards of Dirmstein, Dirmsteiner Weinlagen
- Herrgottsacker; 155,2 ha
- Jesuitenhofgarten; 5,6 ha
- Mandelpfad; 152,5 ha